Followers

Monday, January 14, 2013

Reading Response #2

    Mick Dumper's piece on Jerusalem: Then and Now is full of information, which is its best quality. The beginning part I found to be well written and informative, but as a read the next page or two I realized that I had learned absolutely nothing because its difficult to learn when your brain is shut off because you're bored. It wasn't colorful or exciting, it was the type of historical narrative that most people, like myself, dread reading because it isn't an interesting story but a series of events. What I did like about the piece however was that it showed a long and complicated history that has built, destroyed, and rebuilt Jerusalem for centuries. It a history written in different languages, that has worshipped different gods or God, and been fought over by those who passionately feel connected to it. The most thought-provoking point that Dumper made in my opinion is that geographically Jerusalem has no business being one of the most coveted cities in the world. It is in a hostile climate with very little resources and draped in desert and mountains. He makes the point that the ancient city has survived thousands of years because it serves a sacred place cloaked in mystery and faith, therefore its value lies in what it means to those who call it home and to the world.
       Rashid Khalidi's piece on the history of Jerusalem from an Arabic perspective was straight-forward and enjoyable. I felt like it contained just as much information and history as Dumper's piece but was written as a narrative that was much easier to digest. His point is that the history of Jerusalem as a sacred place to three major religions pollutes and confuses the rest of it's history. He notes that the reason Jerusalem became what it is today is because during the various occupations, sieges, and takeovers, it was established as a vital political asset. I thought it was interesting that he said the Crusades actually united the Muslims and the Jews because they realized their city was going to continue to be sought by other nations and people. Although it is complicated, understanding the history of Jerusalem is vital to understanding Jerusalem today and why it remained a disputed and conflicted territory.
        The piece I enjoyed the most was by Reba Rubin. It was not only a narrative with the facts, but it had colorful details, dates, names, and presented the history of the city of Jerusalem in a non-analytical or philosophical way but rather in a linear fashion. Although history is not linear, for someone like me who has little to no reference on the subject, it was helpful to read a timeline. Although not the most insightful piece perhaps, however if I would have read this before the Dumper and Khalidi pieces I would have had a better grasp or at least a general outline of understanding. Overall, these pieces established a background that can now be used to move deeper into the social, cultural, political, economic, historic, and religious issues of Jerusalem.

No comments:

Post a Comment