In my opinion, the most dominant theme that was weaved throughout the readings was a struggle with representation. Jerusalem, according to the readings, is a place not of one culture, religion, or mindset but many. Another pervasive theme in the readings is the idea that misrepresentation of certain parts of Jerusalem has major consequences such as the many misconceptions about the Israel-Palestine conflict that exist in the media and as a result the mindset of many people in the world. Dr. Horowitz' piece about the formation and goals that she and those working on the Jerusalem folk festival undertook was inspiring and beautifully written. I appreciated the explanation from an ethnographic point of view, especially because I thought that the other three readings were difficult to follow at times and seemed to start in the middle of a story rather than at the beginning of one.
I thought that the piece by Suad Amiry about her own experiences was poignant and thoughtful. I really respect what everyone involved in this project was trying to do. What I am confused about is why it has to be put under the title of "folklore?" I understand that it was supposed to be culturally based but it bothers me to call it folklore because that has an underlying implication that its not to be taken seriously. As far as representation goes, I think that its important for people to know that when they are learning something from an outside source it is a representation. You can look at the world through your own eyes and draw conclusions, but quite often people today take what other people have concluded and claim them as their own. As all of the authors of the pieces we read pointed out, representation is a complicated thing. The Jerusalem project sought to represent daily life from the perspective of Israelis and Palestinians and all that is encompassed in their cultures. Representation is tricky because those providing a representation of something have to ensure that they are doing so accurately and with grace so that those who will be absorbing that information do not get fed misinformation. Although the festival did not happen, its important that it was attempted at all in the hope that Americans may be better educated on and have the chance to participate in the diverse culture of the city of Jerusalem.
No comments:
Post a Comment