Music
When I was younger, I played the flute and briefly played the piano. Although I wish that I would have stuck with the piano (because I think that it is an amazing skill to have and I love the instrument) I have never really been a musically inclined person, despite my great appreciation for it. My parents have always exposed us to the classic rock music they grew up, so from a very young age I knew the lyrics to Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, and Aerosmith. In fact, my Dad's favorite trivia game to play is to see who can name the song and artist when a song from "his generation" comes on the radio (he gets really into this, and does it loudly and in public). Then of course there was the boy band and spice girl craze, which I wholeheartedly took part in and frequently organized concerts to preform for my parents and their friends. "Barbie girl" was a big hit.
I was also exposed to a lot of christian alternative music and actually attended a youth festival in Pennsylvania called Hands and Feet every summer until I was 15. Although I went more for the social aspects, I definitely listened to a lot of the music. Some of the bands that I heard there, like Switchfoot and Mute Math, actually ended up becoming secular and popular (much to my surprise).
As I've gotten older, and been exposed to different types of people and music, I have developed an appreciation for almost all types. I have found that there is a type of music that is appropriate for every situation. When its warm outside, country hits the spot. When I'm studying, its classical. When I'm sad, there's Bon Iver. I think that is what I love about music is the fact that it is such a universal platform for expression and understanding. It doesn't matter what your background is or your religious or political beliefs, music can be felt in a personal way by everyone.
In regard to the conflict, I have said before that I feel like music is an incredibly powerful tool for unity and understanding. The project by Daniel Barenboim and Edward Said, in particular, is an example of the way that music can bring people (who otherwise might hate one another) together with a common purpose. I believe that if you give people something in common, other than a hatred for one another's people or beliefs, it is the first step toward a peace between them.
No comments:
Post a Comment