Followers

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Reading Response March 20

Sexual orientation is a difficult topic, both to read about and to openly discuss. The liberty to discuss different sexual orientations outside of heterosexuality has been a sensitive and often oppressed issue is a relatively modern ability. And its still not always the most comfortable topic. Living in the United States, we have much more freedom to express sexual preferences and even in some states, the legal right to do so. Before this class, I had honestly never given much thought to the homosexual communities among Israelis and Palestinians and the way that their struggles effect the larger context of the conflict. It was encouraging to visit the various sites and read the mission statements, goals, and operations of the organizations working toward equality and fair treatment for their communities.

I think what is really interesting the emphasis placed on organized and well distributed tasks in order to ensure that all of their bases are covered, so to speak. Obviously, it makes sense for an NGO to be structured this way. But for some reason when I hear about an activism group, I often think about a group of people who are protesting or organizing events, but that are not necessarily a functioning organization with institutions like a board of directors, etc.

Its incredible that in the face of so much opposition these organizations are able to be as functional and successful as they are! Hopefully, one day.. they won't have to struggle so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment