Unfortunately I don't have images or symbols of my home available to post, but I can discuss some of the rituals and traditions that my family practices. I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools from the time I was in pre-school until the 12th grade. My extended family is a mixture of Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, and non-denominational faiths. We celebrate the Christian holidays together, like Easter for example, by going to church, having an easter egg hunt, and a family dinner. Christmas is probably the holiday with the most traditions. Some are secular while others are Christian traditions. As for the secular ones, we decorate cookies, travel to a tree farm and cut it down ourselves, exchange gifts, and do a lot of eating! As for the religious traditions, we read the story of Jesus' birth on Christmas Eve. We celebrate the season of advent by lighting a candle each Sunday (4 candles; 1 pink and 3 purple typically) and then light the white candle on Christmas day. We also go to mass on Christmas Eve. On Christmas day we gather around the Nativity scene and sing happy birthday to Jesus (a tradition that has been slowed phased out as my siblings and I have gotten older..)
I think that family traditions are important because they give you a sense of solidarity and a foundation to build on. They are something that I look forward to every year and know that I can always count on. In my opinion, continuing traditions are one of the ways to cope with life as it changes from one year to the next.
Jourdan,
ReplyDeleteI am not Christian, but I have always admired the Christian holiday traditions. I remember going caroling with my neighbors around Christmas time and enjoying the lights and colors around my town. I think tradition is very important. I look at my own family holiday tradition as a prime example of that. Seeing distant family, being together, thinking about what is important and remembering the struggles Jews have faced. There is something to be learned from other people's traditions. You realize you are not as different as you might think. This is needed reminder in the face of so much conflict in the world.
Ethan